Tuesday 10 August 2010

Just found!!

So as I was looking to post the photos from my last piece I made, I came across these photos of a decorative piece I made at college during my Nat Dip A&D.

To me, the piece looks like leaves blowing around in the autumn when they have fallen from the trees. I thought of this as I made it and I made the leaves mostly be possitioned in the same direction going arround the contours of the bowl form and then flicking out like they are in controlably being blown out of the restrictive form of a symetrical bowl.
To make this piece, I rolled sheets of steel thinly and cut the leaf shapes- including a mock vein pattern, with a micro torch. I then rolled them again to distort them and then coloured the metal again with the micro torch. I joined them with a small spot welder, bending and holding them into place to make the concave/bowl form and also the flick too.
I like this particularly as I like the contrast between the stiff oxidised steel I used and the texture of a natural fallen autumnal leaf, thin and brittle. I also like the colours you can make in the metal simply by heating it.
Unfortunately, this piece is no longer with us- it got damaged beyond repair and so I took what I could from it and scrapped the rest - appart from expense of wasting materials, I don't mind scrapping metal as I know it will easily break down into the environment- unlike if I was into using materials such as plastics.

Nature is one of my biggest, if not the biggest influence and inspiration to my work. It always has been from me drawing and playing as a young girl right through my Artistic education into to my work now. You can see this as nature was my inspiration for this piece as well as my most recent piece I made for my final project.

CLE
Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment