Thursday 20 October 2011

Weekly journal - third week of term

Weekly Journal
Week Beginning 03/10/2011

Monday 3rd-
– bought clay; Norton grog, ivory stoneware, Almington (one bag of each)
– throwing; for vessels in Norton grog using texturing technique discussed last week
– I am quite pleased with the results for the first attempt. They look quite well-off and scruffy but I'm pleased with them because I've never attempted to throw using pure with the inside of the bowl and it made it particularly difficult with the outside being textured so not even thickness. I applied a random texture of minds and varying depth and width because for this test I was only practising the process rather than perfecting the decoration however I plan to do visual studies of natural form and texture to inform future surfaces.
Tuesday 4th-
– Turning yesterday's bowls. More difficult than usual due to their very wonky and uneven forms. When turning these balls those thinking of Shozo Michikawa and how with some of his textured pottery he makes the point of finishing the rim neatly so as to contrast with the texture of the surface of the body of the bowl.
– I have also done a few small visual studies of natural textures in my sketchbook to inform the texture I will apply to my balls next time I throw.
– Practice five tutorial; we ran out of time so I do not discuss my work so far in-depth although I informed Sharon of my signup tutorial with Mike Eden last week and that I feel I am on a good path towards reaching my goals and have a confidence starting point, for my practical work.
Wednesday 5th-
• HCC tutorial
- the plan to focus on bowls within the HCC essay
- look for the book "500 bowls" in the library
- the practical work I could finish throwing bowls by pinching, use pinching to texture the bowls
-Bowls;
– spiritualism; member is pottery American Southwest
– ceremony
– Mary Rogers
–Ryoji Koie – textured bowls
– design sourcebook – ceramics – Edmund De Waal
– David Pye – wooden turned and carved bowls
– Lawson Oyekan
Yet again I feel quite enthusiastic after this tutorial then I feel it has given me a clear direction for my HCC essay.
Thursday 4th-
• throwing using texturing techniques but little more purposeful textures – inspired by visual studies. Six bowls in total.

No comments:

Post a Comment