Thursday 20 October 2011

Weekly journal - second week of term

Weekly Journal
Week Beginning 26/09/2011

Monday 26th-
• Library – Photocopying from “Ceramics of the world: An Illustrated History”
- Looking at variety of pottery from around the world and over a number of centuries, split into categories ;
-Form – forms I find most aesthetically pleasing and have a closer link to my own work
-Decoration – Simple decoration, muted, earthy colours, functional ware.
-Highly decorated Pottery – Elaborately decorated pottery such as porcelain tea services.
-Introduction of book – Text to inform Essay and some possible quotes
Some of the images I copied will not become useful to inspire my practice 5, for example the highly decorated pottery for this is not interesting to me in a practical sense but it is interesting to look at as it is part of the wide history of ceramics. Also I found the introduction of the book interesting and feel there are quotes within it which I can use with my HCC extended essay such as "ceramics are as old as civilisation itself" and, talking about the close link between people and ceramics, giving a quotation from the book of Genesis that God "formed man out of the dust of the ground". This could be an interesting point to make with in my essay as I feel that pottery does hold a close link to my own human nature.
Tuesday 27th-
• Tutorial
-Talking about practice 5 learning outcomes and personal direction
after handing in my PDP we discussed what we had been doing practically and with research in the last week. I discussed my interest in throwing and hand building with more emphasis on throwing. I would like to look at natural form within ceramics and I will be using the bowl form as a ’vehicle’ for my ideas. The practice and extend my skills in throwing the next week and experiment and research with different ways to texture bowls without merely scratching patterns and to the surface painting slip. I felt very quite enthusiastic after this tutorial although I am still unsure of any particular practitioners to research.

Wednesday 28th –
• HCC introductory lecture
- reflect on reading around research subject and investigation within practice five
- stronger connections between practice, research, work, context
- develop understanding of professional, social, cultural and historical context
- to understand what you're doing and why
• Achieved after lecture
- throwing six bowls different size and shape and turn bowls made yesterday and put to bisque
- library; taken out 4 books –
-Dear Mr Leach: some thoughts on ceramics
– David Leach: a biography
–Claudi Casanovas
– Five centuries of Korean ceramics: pottery and porcelain of the Yi dynasty
Thursday 29th
• turn bowls made yesterday and put to bisque
• purchase Clay – Norton grog
• sign up to one– to – one tutorial
- tutorial with Mike Eden
- looking at ancient pottery and manipulation of traditions and pottery
- looking at surface; tactile, texture, rustic
- layers?
- To look at –
- Shozo Michikawa
- Craft Potters Association – directory?
- Ruthanne Tudball
- part throw – texture – finish from inside

Overall I found this week very interesting and feels like tutorial with my has given me a lot of good ideas and links to think about such as techniques and processes which I did not previously realise were possible. I feel really inspired and enthusiastic at the end of this week and am excited to practice, on Monday, the techniques, described to me by Mike Eden, and experiment using my own style with these new techniques.

No comments:

Post a Comment